What is Kwanzaa?
An African-American heritage celebration, observed for the week following Christmas. Kwanzaa became a holiday in 1966 when it was created by Maulana Karenga (this is the 50th anniversary of the holiday, despite misconceptions that Kwanzaa was only recently created).
|By Apavlo at English Wikipedia - Own work, Public Domain, |
How do you celebrate Kwanzaa?
- Observing and practicing the Nguzo Saba (the seven principles of Kwanzaa)
- Umoja (Unity)
- Kujichagulia (Self-Determination)
- Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility)
- Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics)
- Nia (Purpose)
- Kuumba (Creativity)
- Imani (Faith)
- Wearing traditional African garb
- Decorating the house with African art
- Cultural exhibitions
- Learn more here